Brussels | full-time
The Actuary will be part of the European 1st line actuarial team. The team provides reserving and capital analysis to the board and the management of the P&C strategic business unit (SBU).
The P&C SBU of has a total gross reserve of more than 725m euro, and a gross premium of more than 350m per year.
3. Key Result Areas.
The candidate will be involved in the following areas of work facing the team, under the direction and prioritisation of the Actuarial Reserving Team Lead.
· Actuairal Reserving
Carry out the quarterly process of reserving for covering business written within the P&C SBU. The function is charged with determining actuarial best estimates for claims provisions in line with actuarial standards and Group and statutory requirements. The jobholder is expected to pro-actively identify and execute actuarial analyses to determine best estimate reserves and get more insight in the development of the portfolio. This applies to the claim and the premium projection. A main part of the responsibilities is the explanation of the results of the actuarial projection to the various stakeholders. This includes the CFO and the Management Board in general, the underwriters and claims handlers of the P&C SBU, and the Financial functions who will process the results further. Reports on the results, the underlying assumptions and potential different views have to be prepared and will be discussed in the reserving meetings. The jobholder is expected to be able to express his/her view clearly and convincingly.
Next to the regular reserving process, the jobholder is also expected to perform separate analyses on request of the underwriters, claim handlers and/or the board.
· Data quality and tooling
The jobholder will be required to assist in projects within the team for improvements in the IT infrastructure, data quality and tooling. This may include writing specifications, testing of the implementation, and maintenance of internally developed tooling.
4. Job Specific Competencies:
- Actuarial qualification, or good progress made towards an actuarial qualification, or a similar strong mathematical
- Knowledge of standard reserving
- Use of analytical software desirable (e.g. SAS and SQL), the ability to program (Visual Basic for Excel) and knowledge of databases
- Numerate and analytical mind-set, good problem solver
- Communicative, self-motivated and pro-active
- Being able to organize and plan your work
- A working knowledge of English, verbally and written. Fluency in Dutch is a plus
- Willingness to travel occasionally to The Netherlands